Best Air Mattress Reviews – 106 Tested Over 13 Months – August 2017 update
The air mattress market is as confusing as it ever was. With all the shady outsourcing practices and low-quality products flooding the market, the last two years have been especially baffling for an average buyer looking to get the best air bed for their money.
We reviewed 106 air beds so far
13 months ago, we set out to review over a 100 best air beds to compile a list of products that are worth your buck. Currently top rated Overall is Cloud 9 by SoundAsleep (9.7 / 10).
If it leaks, it’s worthless
In the 30 sec video below Andy will explain how exactly to use this page to choose an air bed that will be right for you and what to avoid at all cost.
Let Andy explain how to find exactly what you’re looking for.
For easier navigation, this guide is divided into sections.
Click the button that best describes the air bed you’re looking for.
1. BEST BY INTENDED USE:
2. VEHICLES & MEDICAL:
Our featured testers include people from all walks of life, from housewifes to avid campers, from laymen to Material Technology Engineers – 44 of them.
To get the Overall Rating, we pool the tester ratings with what we call “user satisfaction %”, which is based on the existing air mattress reviews.
10 Best Air Mattresses
| || || || ||
| || || || ||
| || || || ||
| || || || ||
| || || || ||
| || || || ||
| || || || ||
| || || || ||
| || || || ||
(used as twin)
(used as King)
| || || ||
Best Air Beds for Home Use
Bamboo Best Choice
All quality ratings:
Cloud 9 Series
| || ||
| || ||
| || ||
| || ||
Value for $
| || ||
| || ||
3 best air beds for home use
Cloud 9 by SoundAsleep
- Because it doesn’t leak – by far the best air retention testing results
- Because of the Dual Pump – it comes with two pumps, one inflates it and the secondary pump adds air if pressure drops
- Because it sleeps like a regular bed – the Comfort Coil inner structure eliminates that bouncy quality most other models have
- Comfortable – Comfort Coil technology minimizes pressure points
- Lowest leak % of all the air beds tested for this guide
- Smart Dual Pump – the secondary pump controls firmness through the night
- Multilayered heavy gauge material – much less prone to punctures
- Doesn’t slide or move – bottom material “sure-grips” the floor
- Full 1 Year Warranty
- Relatively short cord – 51 inches
- The Queen size is in not actually 80x60 inches, it’s closer to 78 x 59
- Faint rubbery smell on arrival – it’s smart to air out for 2-3 hours before use
Is Cloud Nine right for YOU?
The quality is there, no question about it.
However, choosing the right air bed FOR YOU is a different story. There are scenarios when Cloud Nine won’t be the best choice.
In the full review below we go in-depth about various needs, which of them are fully met by Cloud 9 and which aren’t.
Best Choice Bamboo air bed review
2nd in Overall ratings & most durable
Made by industry veterans
The people we’re talking about are the industry experts behind one of the most trusted and authoritative websites in the industry – AirMattress.com.
There was so much fuss about this bed for the past few years that we actually waited for it to hit the market (last year) to be able to test it and include it in this guide. It did take them long to design it and start production, but it was well worth the wait.
- Flat, firm surface – coil beam design of the inner chambers
- Durable PVC – nylon-reinforced vinyl is 40% more durable
- Low air-leak % – you can see the exact stats in the full review below
- Hypoallergenic detachable bamboo topper and “skirt” cover all the vinyl parts
- No color choices
- Edges not as sturdy & raised as in the Cloud Nine – can be an issue for extremely restless sleepers
- Not for people who prefer soft matresses
This firm, heavy-duty air bed is not for everybody, that’s for sure.
To see how it “behaves” in real life and if it’s right for you, follow the link to its full review below.
Fox Plush Elevated review
If air beds were superheroes, Fox would be the Hulk.
Fox products are made using vinyl that’s about 40 % thicker than the industry standard (it’s 0.6 mm thick). However, the sheer thickness of the material is not what makes this Fox so tough.
Thick vinyl would be useless if the seams were “leaky”
We sent out 8 samples of seam strips (2 from each side of the bed, both top and bottom) for 3rd party tensile testing lab in Phoenix, and the results were just what we expected based on what our testers are telling us.
The seams are as tough as the material itself. You’ll see the complete results and comparison to other similar models in the full review below.
- Thick, heavy-duty vinyl makes it the the the most durable airbed on the market
- Comfort – the extra layer of air-flow chambers at the top makes it comfortble and eliminates cold air rushes
- Resistant to punctures – with 0.6 mm thick vinyl, chances of pinholes or punctures are very low
- Cat-proof air mattress – the few Fox models available are THE choice if you have cats or dogs running around
- Highest weight capacity available – it’s our pick for people on the heavier side (weight limit 750 lbs for the Queen)
- Heavy – Queen size weighs 35.8 lbs
- The height of 25 “ can be a problem getting on and down from it for senior and elderly people
- Bulky – doesn’t pack as small as the moodels we talked about thus far
THE MAIN UPSIDE of this Fox is the thickest material and the highest weight capacity in the indystry. The durability and high weight capacity come at a “price” and that price is bulk and weight of the bed.
See the full review (link below) where we concisely list who should go with this Fox and who is better off with another product.
Best air mattresses for guests & guest rooms
Serta Raised Never Flat & Serta EZ
Because getting air bed for a weekend visit from your cousins from Connecticut is not the same as choosing an air bed for that guest room you want to be proud of.
Our pick for guests is Serta Raised Pillow Top.
It’s an inflatable mattress that’s easy set up and down, store, move and fit wherever you want.
The Never flat pump eliminates the risk of your guest waking up on the floor (more on never-flat pumps in a minute).
Serta EZ is the best blow up bed on the market in terms of looks and style. It looks like it belongs on the cover of Home & Garden magazine.
It also includes a Never Flat pump.
Recommended for guests
Serta Raised Never Flat
If you are getting an air mattress for guests, your primary concern should be the “risk” of your guests waking up in a half-deflated air bed or even worse, on the ground.
The Never Flat Pump technology that’s included in the Serta Raised eliminates that risk.
It features two pumps and one of them (the Never Flat ) stays plugged-in, tracks the pressure inside the chambers and adds air if the pressure drops.
This Serta also comes as a pillow-top version, which makes it more comfortable. It is THE choice for guests.
Recommended for guest rooms – Serta EZ bed
What is an EZ bed?
EZ beds are high-end products that come on self-deploying steel frame & legs.
Most of them also include the mentioned Never Flat Pump that doesn’t allow the bed to go soft. It’s equiped with sensors that trigger it if there’s change of pressure inside the bed.
Setting them up and down is not only easy, since everything happens automatically, but is actually fun to watch.
As you plug the bed and the chambers start filling, the frame and legs unfold and lock into place, like a spider coming out of its egg…or like a bulb flower in the spring, whichever of the two you choose to see.
The folding frame of this air bed works just as smoothly and packs neatly into a convenient carry case with wheels.
They are bulky but pack neatly into a wheeled suitcase that comes included. So, yes, in spite of the steel folding frame and legs, they are portable.
Make sure that the dimensions of your space and Serta EZ are a good fit. For complete sizing details and quality ratings see the review on the right.
Best camping air mattress
Compiling a well-rounded list of best airbeds for camping is not an easy task.
So, we’ll make an effort to present a few main types of air beds for camping and our picks in those categories, but the decision about which type is a good fit for you comes down to your needs. It’s a cliche but it’s true.
- Do you need it for backpacking or car camping?
- Do you have access to power on the site?
- Do you need a built-in, battery-operated or a rechargeable pump?
- How big is your tent bed?
- What is the type of your tent and how does that affect the profile height of the air bed that will fit?
Best camping air mattress among high-rises
If you want the comfort of a high-rise camping airbed, our reccomendations are the Coleman Cot with side tables and the Coleman Supporrest.
The later, Coleman SupportRest Double High is the official airbed of the National Park Foundation.
Coleman Cot airbed with side tables & 4D Pump
Two main advantage of the Coleman Cot airbed is the elevated steel frame and it’s versatility.
The fact that it’s mounted on a steel frame means you’ll be sleeping well away from any pesky buzzard that might otherwise crawl up the sides of a regular bed.
On the other hand, the blow up mattress is not attached to the frame but to the fabric sleeve.
- You can only pack the inflatable bed and leave the bulky frame at home
- You can take the whole thing to the site but detach the blow up mattress, pack it into a backpack and go for an overnight hike
- The Cot is sleeping surface itself, so you can separate the two on the site and get two sleeping surface. Each of these can accomodate 2 people and up to 600 lbs.
Buyer beware – you’ll need to make sure that you have enough room in your trunk for the whole cot-airbed combo.
To see the full sizing details and how well it faired with the elements in real life situations, see the full review by following the link below.
Runner up – Coleman SupportRest Double High camping air mattress
Being the official air bed of the National Park Fooundation among 100s of camping inflatables is no small thing. The Coleman SupportRest is an industry classic and has been of of the best camping air mattresses for years.
It deserved the title by being better in pretty much every aspect that matters for a camping inflatable, from air retention and support to a stable and firm sleeping surface.
- No sinking to the middle of the bed – support and firmness ensured by what Coleman calls ComfortStrong inner coild construction
- No air loss – Coleman’s proprietary AirTight System with a double-lock valve
- Heavy duty material – multi-layered PVC is much less likely to be punctured and doesn’t stretch as much as regular PVC which puts less stress on the seams
Best camping air mattress among low-rises
SoundAsleep Camping Series
Best camping air mattress among low-rises is the SoundAsleep Camping Series.
Compared to the Coleman models above, it’s “young” product. It hit the market in the spring of 2015 but it wasn’t long before it became top rated in user reviews and had the highest % of user satisfaction.
The Camping Series one of the 3 entries from SoundAsleep in our TOP 10, which is more than any other brand, including the industry giants.
Our testers tell a similar story. To see the full review and real-life experinces follow the link below.
Top-rated sleeping pads
Below are our picks among two main types of sleeping pads. Click the button below the images to see how they were tested and what our camper testers had to share about them.
Thearm-a-Rest Neo-air XTherm
Best air mattresses for kids & toddlers
Best inflatable mattress for kids and toddlers is one of the categories we had to get help for. We found it in the awesome community of Mom bloggers.
We sent out 12 aibeds for kids to 12 and moms and asked for their impressions.
The results are clear – by far the best blow up mattresss for kids is the Shrunks Tuckaire, with the Intex Kidzbeing the runner-up.
Shrunks Tuckaire Toddler airbed review
Our pick for the best air mattress for kids and toddlers is the Shrunks Tuckaire.
- Safety – it’s rigorously tested and completely free of any harmful chemicals like BPAs or phthalates.
- Design and versatility – other inflatable mattresses for kids are designed either for home use or travel and sleepovers, while the Shrunks Tuckaire covers all scenarios.
- Inflated dimensions: 60 x 37 x 9 “
- Age – 2+
- Time of inflation/deflation – 30 seconds
- Side rails keep the child safe
- No harmful chemicals (Phthalate, BPA & Lead-free)
Best inflatable bed reviews – by size
If you already have a size in mind, the process of choosing is simplified by a factor of 10.
Because the 2 best blow up mattresses cover all the sizes except single and twin. The Cloud Nine comes in Queen while the Bamboo Choice comes in 5 sizes, from twin Xl to California King. Our pick in Twin size is the model that 4th in overall ratings – Dream Series by SoundAsleep.
See our reccomendations sorted by size below.
Our pick in the following sizes:
Twin XL, Full, King California King
Bamboo Best Choice review
- Extra sturdy support makes it a great choice for side-sleepers, heavy people and anybody with back pain issues
- Materials: laminate-reinforced vinyl
- Minimal air-leaks reported
- Bamboo-based hypoallergenic topper
- 1-year warranty
The story about this blow up bed always starts with the reinforced PVC, which makes it more durable, much less prone to air leaks and popping of internal seams.
Our choice in single size
Zaltana Navy Blue air bed review
This category of best blow up mattresses is dominated by Zaltana and their Navy Blue (otherwise known as Duke Blue) models.
The dimensions of both models are 73 x 29 x 7.5 inches.
The difference between the two single models is that one comes with a battery-operated pump (4D cell), and the other comes without a pump
However, any standard hand or leg pump will work for both.
What’ better about these two single air beds is the fact that they feature a chambered inner designe which you don’t see often in this price range.
Best twin air mattress reviews
SoundAsleep Dream Series
According to reviews of our testers, the best twin air mattress is the Dream Series by SoundAsleep. Rated at 92.2/100, our pick in Twin size is the product that’s been by fast the most popular over the last few years.
The difference between the Dream Series and Cloud Nine and (both coming from SoundAsleep) comes down to the pump and price.
The Cloud Nine includes a Dual Smart Pump, while the Dream Series comes with a regular built-in pump.
Oh, and yes, The Cloud Nine cost much more – almost 70% more to be precise.
After hitting the market in 2013, Dream Series took it by storm, blowing the competition away in the process.
It currently has over 14,500 user reviews (Twin and Queen combined) and a staggering 91% satisfaction rate in consumer reports.
Review of best Queen air mattress
SoundAsleep Cloud Nine
This inflatable mattress is currently highest -rated overall and it’s, naturally, our pick in Queen size.
Current gap between the Cloud Nine and the runner up is a hefty 0.4 and, looking at the reviews and test results, we don’t see that gap closing any time soon.
We already talked about the Cloud Nine and listed it’s main advantages and downsides.
To see the full analysis click the button below.
Air mattress size chart
Reference sizing info
Now that we’ve covered the highest-rated models in each size let’s go a bit deeper and provide some reference sizing info.
We’ll look into the dimensions and top-rated blow-up beds in each category.
We’ll also list the heights, pump type and weight limits of the beds.
Twin air mattress
Dimensions of a twin size air bed are 73-75 x 38-39 inches, while the profile height ranges from 9 to 25 inches.
The top-rated model in the size is SoundAsleep Dream Series, click the button below to see what’s better about it.
5 highest-rated twin inflatable beds are:
Reccomendedull (double) air mattresses
Dimensions of a full size air bed are 75 x 54 inches , while the profile height is in the range of 8 to 25 inches.
The top-rated full-sized model is the Best Choice Sky Blue, you can see it’s reviews by clicking the button below.
Best air mattresses in Full (Double) size are:
Plush air mattress
Top-rated in Queen size
Dimensions of a Queen air bed are 60 x 80 inches, while the height ranges from 8 to 22 inches.
Our top pick in Queen size is the previously mentioned Could 9 (you can see its details by clicking the button below).
5 best Queen air mattresses are:
King size inflatable mattress
Length and width of a King air bed are 80 x 76 inches and profile height ranges from 8.7 to 25 inches.
5 highest-rated King air mattresses are:
Raised air mattress
Air bed height explained
Let’s address the “blurry” topic of profile height by looking at all the terms brands are using to describe the height of their models.
Low profile air bed is a general term used by most brands.
Profile height – 5-9 inches.
Single high – the term “single-high” is used by Coleman & Intex to describe some of their low profile models (like the Quickbed single-high).
A single high blow up bed is 5 to 6 inches high.
One more name used solely by Coleman.
There’s only a handful of “extra-high” inflatable beds.
The only one really worth mentioning here is the Coleman Quickbed Elite Extra High.
Its profile sits at 9.5 inches.
Raised or high-rise
Like the low-rise, a raised airbed or a high-rise is a universally used term.
It’s where most beds we’ve been looking at belong. The profile height range can be anywhere from 18 to 25 inches and are generally much more comfortable.
Intex is using the term mid-rise for some of their models that are between a low and a high-rise.
If you see an airbed with the words mid-rise in the name it’s safe to assume the bed is 13-14 inches high.
Top-rated mid-rises from Intex:
- Durabeam Mid Rise
- Comfort Plush Mid Rise
- Deluxe Mid-Rise Pillow Rest
Again a term used by Coleman used to describe their models (like the Quickbed SupportRest Double-high).
A double-high air matress is within the height range of 17-19 inches which practically puts it in the category of high-rises.
Elevated – you’ll see the term “elevated” used by Intex for a few of their models.
Examples – Intex Elevated Durabeam we mentioned a few times or the Intex Foam top elevated air matress.
These beds belong to the category of raised airbeds, and their profile height range is 18-22 “. The extra height, as we mentioned, makes them more comfortable.
Air mattress weight limits
How much much weight can an air mattress hold?
Weight capacity of an inflatable bed depends on two factors – the size and whether it’s used by one or two people.
These are the weight limits of an air mattress:
for 1 person
between 2 people
between 2 people
between 2 people
Other types of inflatable beds
Memory foam air mattress
Memory foam airbeds, like the Fox Premium, are our reccomendation if you are looking an airbed for everyday use.
These models includes a memory foam topper which is either attached with a zipper or comes separately. They are generally considered to be the most comfortable inflatable beds.
Based on user reviews, the highest-quality product among memory foam inflatable mattresses if the Fox Premium Gel.
Pillow top air mattress
A pillow top model comes with extra padding on the sleeping surface of the bed.
The quilted padding can be attached or removable (fitted or zipped). Along with memory foam, a pillow top is the best air bed for heavy people & side-sleepers.
Best pillow top air mattress is the Coleman Premium, and the runner up is Serta Pillow Top Raised Never Flat.
Air mattress with a headboard
This type of airbeds include a headboard that’s also inflatable.
They are a solid choice to be used as a permanent bed because it solves the “slipping-pillow” problem for restless sleepers.
Our choice is Aerobed Opti-comfort Queen air mattress with headboard.
Luxury air mattress (adjustable)
Adjustable beds ARE NOT air beds in the traditional sense of the word.
We’re talking Sleep Number & their competitors here – the most luxurious mattresses you can get with a price to match.
An adjustable air bed is a combination of extremely durable and practically impenetrable air chambers and layers of latex and memory foam.
Sleeper sofa air mattresses
Our choice – Legget & Platt Air Dream
Sleeper sofas usually come with an inflatable mattress core.
The whole system works until the blow up bed attached to the hide a bed sofa starts leaking air and needs to be replaced.
Luckily, there is one product that fits the bills perfectly – it’s the Air Dream by Legget & Platt.
It’s currently rated at 9.2 / 10.
Low air loss and alternating pressure air matress
Most trusted products & their reviews
How do medical air mattresses work?
Low air loss and/or alternating pressure air mattress helps prevent or treat wound ulcers & bed sores that appear as a result of constant pressure.
How we researched
We talked to 8 caregivers (both from hospitals and geriatric institutions) about their experiences with low air loss and alternating pressure beds and overlays.
Recommended low air loss and alternating pressure
beds and overlays
The most trusted name among low air loss and alternating pressure mattresses and overlays is the Drive Medical Medaire. To decide which one is right for your situation, you can see top products compared in the full guide (link below).
Air mattresses for vehicles
Truck bed air mattress
Air mattresses for pickup truck beds and truck tents are one of those custom-made types we mentioned.
The choices for pickups are limited, and our pick is the Airbedz Lite PPi.
The sizes it comes in fit most trucks beds – from Ford f150, Chevy to Dodge and more.
Jeep air mattress
These are custom-made to fit the back of JKUs (Jeep Wrangler Unlimited), Jeep Grand Cherokee & others.
These models for Jeep are very scarce, and the choice comes down to one product – Napier Sportz.
The Sportz Jeep by Napier fits the back of the vehicles perfectly, precisely hugging the wheel wells.
RV air mattress
Replacement for a hide a bed RV sleeper-sofa – our pick.
This was probably the single most time-consuming category we researched.
It WAS NOT easy, and we had a lot of help from the good people from the RV community forums.
We did find one product that offers the highest quality if you are looking an RV air mattress replacement – Innomax ForeverAire (image on the left).
Car-camping and travel airbeds for SUVs & minivans
The use of these is two-fold – as a travel inflatable mattress or for car-camping.
Among the few good products available, by far the top-rated is the WolfWill Mobile Cushion.
Primarily designed to fit almost all SUVs, it also fits the bill as a minivan air mattress.
Backseat air mattresses for cars, SUVs and minivans
As you can see in the image, this backseat air mattress is custom-made to fill the space over the backseats of cars, trucks, SUVs & Minivans.
The highest-rated among backseat air beds, based on user reviews, is the Winterial Travel.
Seee the full review & sizing options by clicking the button below the image.
Who makes the best air mattress?
The industry is changing fast but, judging by the product ratings, the most trusted airbed companies today are: SoundAsleep, Aerobed, Coleman, Fox, Serta and Insta.
Below is a list of other brands worth mentioning grouped by primary intended use of their products – home use & outdoor use.
- Air Comfort
- Air Cloud
- Lazery Sleep air mattress
- Smart Air Beds
- Simply Sleeper
- Swiss Gear
- Swiss Lux
- Personal Comfort
- CSA SuperbAir
- The Shrunks
- Pure Comfort
- Comfort Boulevard
Best camping air mattress & sleeping pads brands
- Sea to Summit
- Sportz by Napier
- East Majik
- Lightspeed Outdoors
- Ozark Trail
- Pittman Outdoors
- Big Agnes
- Amazon Basics
- Teton Sports
- Fox Outfitters
Top products by main brands
- Insta-bed raised air mattress with never flat pump
- Insta ez bed queen
- Insta air mattress bedding (6 piece)
Coleman has a long history making some of the best camping air mattresses out there. Below are a few of their top models.
- Coleman Queen airbed Cot with side tables and 4d battery pump (framed, also available in Twin)
- Supportrest Queen (Double High, Grand Lit abd Elite)
- Quickbed 4-in-1 Quickbed Elite (Double High)
- Premium Double High Pillow Top
- Coleman air mattress pumps (4 D Battery QuickPump)
- Aerobed Opti-Comfort Anywhere Queen with headboard (double high)
- Classic Aerobed King & Twin (Costco, Walmart, Target and Amazon)
- Aerobed luxury collection queen pillow top (available at Costco, Walmart, Target and Amazon)
- Extra Raised with built-in pump (Double High)
- One Touch Comfort twin Aerobed with buil-in pump
- Pakmat camping
- Aerobed King Quilted with Memory Foam Topper
- Replacement air release valve
- Serta raised with never flat pump (twin, queen, pillow top or with headboard)
- Serta EZ bed queen
- Serta raised with Insta III pump
- serta Perfect Sleeper with headboard and never flat pump
- Soundasleep Cloud Nine
- Sound Asleep Dream Series air mattress with comfortcoil technology & internal high capacity pump (available in Twin and Queen, you can buy it from Target or Amazon)
- Sound Asleep Camping Series
Note: Sound Asleep Dream Series is only available for the US market
Fox air beds
- Fox Plush High Rise
- Fox Signature Memory Foam
- Fox Premium Memory foam gel
- Simply Sleeper SS-58RF Raised
- SS-89Q Premium Ultra Tough Raised
- SimplySleeper SS-47T Ultra Tough Twin
- SS-54Q Queen Premium
- Simply Sleeper SS-83Q
- Simmons BeautyRest Double/Full Hi-loft
- Simmons BeautyRest Queen air mattress
- Simmons BeautyRest Queen PlushAire 17-inch
- Simmons Beautyrest Fusionaire 18 “
- Contour Aire Express by Simmons
- Ivation EZ-bed (vs. Frontgate)
- Ivation with Dual Sleep air-coils
- Ivation Self-inflating air bed
- Bestway air mattress Raised
- Comfort Cell Premiere
Frontgate ez bed
- Frontgate ez bed (vs. Ivation)
Repair, patch kits, maintenance tips & FAQs
What we'll look into
In the section below we’ll address everything we get asked about in comments and emails in a concise way.
We’ll go over everything – from the the right way to find, through patching and repair to replacement parts and valve adapters. We’ll also adress some of the frequently asked questions about inflatable mattresses.
To open the sections, just press the + sign.
Locating a leak
To locate an air leak or pinhole in your air bed follow these steps:
- Inflate to capacity
- Water-down some dish soap, spray it over the area where you suspect the leak is and look for bubbles
- Start by inspecting the valves and seams – they are the most common leak sources
- When you locate the leak mark it using a pen, deflate and proceed to repair
Patching & Repair
To patch a leaking air bed, follow these steps:
- Make sure the blow up bed is fully deflated
- Place it on flat surface and iron out any creases with your hand
- Thorougly clean and dry the area
- If the leak is located on the flocked surface or at the seam, you’ll have to use fine-grade sandpaper to get to the vinyl
- Apply the sealant as described in the instructions
Vinyl patch and repair kits for air mattresses differ in methods of application – make sure to follow the instructions that are always printed on the packacking of the kit.
Air bed patch and repair kits
These are the vinyl patch and repair kits that we recommend:
- Coghlan’s AirStop Sealant
- Tear-Aid Repair Type B Vinyl kit
- Boxer Adhesives Repair Kit
- Blue Magic Patch
- AIRHEAD AHRK-1
Maintenance & good use practices
- To get rid of the rubbery smell, inflate the bed to capacity and leave it to air out for a day
- Keep in mind that the listed weight limit (starting from single and up) is for two-person use.
- To make an air bed more comfortable add a blanket beneath the linen. The better alternative is getting a blow up bed that already comes with a memory foam or a pillow top.
- If you have dogs or cats get a heavy-duty, cat-proof air mattress like Fox Plush Premium (made of thicker vinyl). You can see the full analysis of this cat-proof model here.
- If you are looking for an air bed your dog or other pet, don’t go with classic models. There are dog air mattresses specifically designed for pets. One of the canine blow up beds we reccomend is the Aerobed Luxury Collection for small and medium dogs.
How to clean an air mattress?
To properly clean an air mattress, follow these steps:
- Fully inflate it before cleaning
- Leave it out in the sun. It will dry the mold, relax the vinyl and open its pores. This will make getting rid of smells much easier.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to thoroughly clean the dust off
- Clean it using a damp microfiber cloth and do not wash it by submerging it into water
Cleaning stains, mold and getting pee smell
These ones are tricky to clean. See our full guides below.
- Cleaning mold from an inflatable bed
- How to get pee out off an air bed- (get rid of the urine smell)
We receive at least 2-3 questions about getting a replacement plug or cap and finding a valve adapter for an inflatable bed every week.
We’ve even received messages from people saying that the plug is missing on arrival. We address the issue below.
Plugs and caps
The set of plugs and caps that we recommend is the Solstice Replacement Boston Valve.
It comes in four versions and is most likely to solve your problem. Most questions in this area are about Intex, Coleman & Ozark Trail replacement plug.
The Solstice plug & cap set will work for most models from Intex, Coleman to Ozark Trail if the original plug is missing.
Valves on inflatablemattresses are not universal, and if you get a product that doesn’t come with a pump or the pump breaks, you’ll need to make sure that the replacement pump fits the valve.
If you have a number of blow-up beds with different valves, getting a valve adapter will make your life much easier.
So, we thought we’d mention one that we know works for most models – AirHead AirDaddy.
It works on most blow up beds, including those with stem, Boston, Halkey-Roberts and Leafield valves.
This is what we went over in this guide:
- Best air matress overall
- Best air matress by inteded use (home or camping)
- By type (memory foam and pillow top air matress, hospital bed air matress, for RV and sofa beds)
What are air mattresses made of?
Air mattresses are usually made of Polyvinyl Chloride or PVC which is a form of flexible plastic. As an alternative, blow up beds marked as “pvc-free” are made of TPU fabric (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) which is considered to be completely non-toxic.
While the safety concerns of the materials have been strictly regulated not to include the chemicals that were a security risk (like phthalates and BPAs), if you want to be completely at peace about using a blow up mattress, you might choose a PVC-free product made of TPU fabric.
About our reviews
What we tried to do in this guide is make a most well-rounded list of best air mattresses out there, both for home use and camping.
We stay on top of things by updating the reviews with new impressions and rating once a month.
If we helped, we’ll sleep well tonight (well, except for Bob who drinks half a dozen Red Bulls a day. Yes we know, we’ll have to do something about that, Editor of a website dedicated to sleep becoming an insomniac doesn’t look good).
If you still have questions on your mind, shoot us an email or use the comment sections to share them so that other people with similar questions will benefit from the answers in the future.
It’s a small team here at TheSleepStudies, but we take special care to respond to all correspondence and comments within 1 day.
The Sleep Studies team